Washington University of St. Louis Pathology and Immunology in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Pathology and Immunology. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
Position provides administrative assistance and office support to the Chair/Department Head, which requires considerable judgement, tact, creativity and initiative. Responds to questions and inquiries and makes decisions, when appropriate, in the absence of Chair/Department Head according to organizational policies and procedures. May have functional responsibility for providing direction to other administrative staff for chair-related departmental activities.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Anticipates and prepares materials needed by the Department Head for conferences, meetings, appointments, and calls within and external to Washington University.
- Assists Department Head in arranging domestic and international travel, including visa applications.
- Schedules complex multi-institution standing meetings and conference calls.
- Maintains relationships and works effectively with assistants to other Department Heads and Division Chiefs within Washington University as well as support staff to BJC HealthCare administration, external collaborators, and visit hosts.
- Maintains master faculty files and assists Department Head and Division Chiefs in managing the faculty appointments and promotions process.
- Composes a variety of materials including letters, emails, and reports with responsibility for format, appropriate attachments, correct spelling and grammar.
- Organizes logistics associated with department seminars, lectures, collaborator and candidate visits and other department functions.
- Welcomes and assists a diverse group of visitors to the department, including flight and hotel arrangements, visit schedules, escorting to appointments.
- Assists Department Head with administrative details often of a confidential nature.
- Presents a positive attitude and willingness to assist others.
- Works independently with an ability to prioritize tasks.
- Coordinates department-related schedules with schedules of Department Head’s research laboratory.
- Maintains and updates Chair weekly to yearly schedule, often acting independently to prioritize meetings.
- Interprets and adapts guidelines, including policies, precedents, and practices not always completely applicable to changing situations.
Equivalent of an Associate’s degree with 7 years administrative/secretarial responsibilities. Some previous supervisory experience in a medical setting preferred.
- Ability to use discretion and independent judgement, work under pressure and adhere to short deadlines.
- Organizational, verbal and written skills are critical.
- Ability to handle multiple situations with tact and a service oriented attitude and supervise/direct secretarial personnel.
The hiring range for this position is $62,337 - $81,078 annually.
Retirement Savings Plan
22 vacation days
8 Paid Holidays
Tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependent children
Free Metro Link/ Bus pass
Free Life Insurance
Health, Dental, Vision
Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
Long Term Disability Insurance
Flex Spending Plan
Med School HR website (medschoolhr.wustl.edu)
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Assistant to the Chair - Pathology and Immunology - 37304
Job ID: 37304
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time