Washington University of St. Louis Office of the General Counsel in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 37.5 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Office of the General Counsel at the Danforth Campus.
The Business Manager reports directly to and works closely with the Vice Chancellor & General Council (VC/GC) to oversee business and administrative operations of the University legal office, ensuring efficient and effective use of Office of the General Council (OGC) resources. Under the leadership of the VC/GC, the Business Manager supervises six OGC Administrative Assistants as well as department business operations to maximize the office’s financial and operational performance.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in planning and implementing OGC’s annual budget in excess of $5,000,000 to ensure efficient, effective utilization of OGC’s resources and compliant operations
- Develop and implement systems that present monthly budget utilization data and project overall annual budget performance, and that support data collection, analysis and tracking of legal expenses to facilitate reporting, inform rate negotiations with outside counsel, and secure appropriate reimbursement for OGC
- Review and implement payment of outside counsel legal billing, delegating and supervising tasks as appropriate
- Approve a wide variety of department documents, including Dean’s level authorization, to maintain internal controls in compliance with University guidelines
- Provide VC/GC with other financial reports and analysis as requested to support decision making and strategic planning
- Direct and implement proposed budgets and fiscal year-end closing procedures in accordance with university policies and procedures
- In consultation with VC/GC, Deputy General Counsel and other OGC attorneys, supervise administrative support staff and manage office administrative procedues and workflow
- Organize and lead regular meetings to facilitate information sharing and training opportunities, and along with the VC/GC and other OGC attorneys, determine support staff needs
- Steward OGC’s financial resources and maintain compliance with University policies and guidelines by directing and advising OGC employees regarding internal and external purchases, travel expenses, procurement card use and reimbursement matters
- Evaluate existing business processes and practices on an ongoing basis, and, if necessary, implement new practices to improve operational and financial efficiency and ensure consistent compliance with internal controls
- Assess existing and new technologies to increase OGC’s productivity; participate in the selection of new technologies (e.g.; matter management, document management; e-billing systems, etc.) and oversee implementation
- Maintain OGC’s business operations manual
- Direct and advise OGC employees regarding time and labor and FMLA reporting
- Provide accurate monthly and bi-weekly payroll data and timely process payroll reports
- Provide VC/GC with employee monthly leave reports and the University Payroll Director with yearly payroll reports for auditing purposes
- Serve as OGC’s Human Resource liaison
Perform other duties as required
This is an exempt position that may require work performed outside of normal business hours and recognition of need to do so.
This is a Multi-office and campus environment that may require travel to get to various destinations.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field and a minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible professional and supervisory experience.
- Ten years of experience including significant experience with complex business accounting practices, including budget preparation, auditing and fiscal analysis strongly preferred
- MBA with previous experience in legal office or higher education is preferred
- Ability to analyze complex financial operations, distill useable data and proactively develop solutions for improving operational and financial performance
- Mature management style
- Ability to prioritize competing demands for time and consistently meet deadlines
- Possess a collaborative personality that enhances OGC’s existing “team-oriented” culture
- Understand various financial systems/software, accounting principles and practices and stay abreast of change
- Knowledge of office technology systems and hardware and ability to communicate effectively with IT professionals regarding OGC needs
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills: must be able to communicate clearly and effectively and forge strong internal and external relationships on behalf of OGC
- Ability to handle sensitive, confidential information related to finance and salary issues and attorney/client privileged information
- Ability to the need and perform work outside of normal business hours.
- Ability to travel to get to various destinations.
The hiring range for this position is $58,441 - $76,011 annually.
Retirement Savings Plan
22 vacation days
8 Paid Holidays
Tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependent children
Free Metro Link/ Bus pass
Free Life Insurance
Health, Dental, Vision
Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
Long Term Disability Insurance
Flex Spending Plan
Human Resources website (hr.wustl.edu)
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Business Manager - Office of the General Counsel - 38228
Job ID: 38228
Location: Danforth - Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time