Washington University of St. Louis Lung Center in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week. Position hours are generally regular business hours.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Medicine, will float between the Lung Center/GI Center/Heart and Vascular Center located on the Medical School Campus.
*POSITION SUMMARY: *
Position leads the work of Medical Assistants in the clinical operation of a patient care setting; this position leads the work of Medical Assistants I and II, and/or acts as the primary clinic resource in a large multi-physician clinical practice; functions as a Medical Assistant in the department, prepares and maintains exam rooms, prepares charts, obtains reports and records; directs patient flow and ensures the overall smooth running of the clinical office.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Patient Care Duties
- Interacts directly with patients in clinic setting and completes tasks which may include obtaining vital signs, completion of EKGs, phlebotomy, and verification of medications
- Prepares for office hours by doing tasks such as obtaining charts, scheduling tests, and preparing exam rooms
- Assists with examinations, procedures, and lab tests
- May assist with renewal and authorization of non-narcotic medications per standing orders and department guidelines
- May administer medications under the order of physicians or nurse practitioner (this includes vaccines and IM and subcutaneous injections)
- Communication and Documentation
- May schedule and assign work to other Medical Assistants to ensure appropriate staffing; assists in orientating and training new Medical Assistants
- Directs patient flow, assists with special procedures/treatments, and completes requisitions
- Routes phone messages, patient questions, and telephone communications to appropriate personnel
- Assists with care coordination by doing tasks outlined under the department guidelines such as calling patients with test results, scheduling appointments, assisting physician with return calls; scheduling surgeries, diagnostic procedures, and admissions; and monitoring new and return patient contacts, including scheduling of appointments and follow-up appointments
- Completes necessary paperwork and documentation
- Documents accurate information in the patient record in a timely manner
- Answers basic questions from patient/family regarding treatments, diagnosis, and procedures
- Equipment and Supplies
- Monitors supply inventory, ensuring adequate supplies, equipment, or garments are available and that they comply with regulations
- Cleans and stocks exam rooms and sterilizes instruments
- Other Functions
- Maintains required HIPAA compliance, skills/competencies and participates in in-services, staff programs, continuing education, and cross-training programs according to established standards and Washington University policies
- Complies with OSHA, state and federal regulatory sources/standards
- Participates in quality improvement activities to ensure appropriate clinical outcomes
- Performs other duties as assigned
High school diploma or GED; a Registered or Certified Medical Assistant with a minimum of 3 years of related work experience (examples of related fields include military medic, emergency medical technicians, Nurse’s Aide, physical therapy and nurse technicians, and certified athletic trainers); substitutions include
- Medical Assistant certification/registration eligible with successful completion of certification exam within 6 months of hire date or within a shorter time frame if noted by hiring manager
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program (such as RN/LPN), or comparable allied health training program with a minimum of 1 year of relevant experience
Must be able to show proof of Medical Assistant registration/certification or complete Medical Assistant registration/certification within 6 months of hire date or within a shorter time frame if noted by hiring manager; Basic Life Support certification
One year or more of supervisory or team leader experience preferred; CPR certification
The minimum to midpoint of the salary range is $15.24 to $18.68 per hour.
Offers made for this position are contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment screens, including a criminal background check, hair sample drug screen, and verification of required professional licenses, registrations, or certifications.
For over a century, Washington University's Department of Medicine has maintained a proud tradition of excellence. Its three-part mission of Research, Teaching, and Patient Care has formed an important core which ultimately brings the latest in medical technology and doctors of the highest standard to the patients in our hospitals and clinics. The Department of Medicine has attracted doctors from all over the world.
Retirement Savings Plan
22 vacation days
8 Paid Holidays
Tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependent children
Free Metro Link/ Bus pass
Free Life Insurance
Health, Dental, Vision
Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
Long Term Disability Insurance
Flex Spending Plan
Med School HR website (medschoolhr.wustl.edu)
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Registered Medical Assistant III (Float) - Lung Center - 37070
Job ID: 37070
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time