Washington University of St. Louis Limited) in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week. This is an 18 month time-limited position.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of WashU IT Capital Projects. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
*POSITION SUMMARY: *
Under moderate supervision, is responsible for the administration and support of computer systems for end user computing and for back end services. Resolves moderately complex issues regarding operations, including installations, and setups. Ensures user satisfaction by providing accurate understanding of the hardware and software current state along with any update or improvements needed for a smooth service implementation.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Install, configure, and administer departmental computer hardware and software
- Participate in the development, implementation, installation and testing of application or service software
- Ensures technology is accessible and equipped with current hardware and software. Monitors and maintains technology to ensure maximum access
- Review and analyze information to determine fit with service implementation
- Analyze and take corrective action for computer hardware and software to resolve technical and schedule issues
- Initiate corrective action to stay on schedule
- Work with deskside support personnel to find cause of issue or work stoppage and to determine best resolution path
- Escalates complex issues to higher level when necessary
- Investigate options for new or improved technology by literature searches and other research
- Write documentation to describe system development, deployment, life cycle. Write or modify training materials for users to describe installations and operating procedures
- Participate in project planning
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree plus 2 years of experience as a support specialist, systems administrator or computer technician, with experience with operating system software, network protocols, and/or desktop and server technologies, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Requires knowledge of Microsoft OS, PC hardware, MAC OS, Apple hardware, MS Office tools and other desktop software
- Able to adjust to changes in priorities and demands on time
- Ability to work with minimal supervision with a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to new circumstances
- Good organizational skills
- Excellent Communication and people skills
- Must be flexible and willing to work extended hours as necessary and recognize the need to do so
- Ability to adjust scheduled time
- Bachelor’s degree or professional certification
- Experience in a higher education technology environment
- Experience delivering training on use of technology
- Ability to program scripts for operating system upgrades (ex: PowerShell)
The hiring range for this position is $22.17 - $28.27 per hour.
Offers made for this position are contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment screens, including a criminal background check, hair sample drug screen, and verification of required professional licenses, registrations, or certifications.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please visit our website at http://hr.wustl.edu to view a summary of benefits.
Applicant Special Instructions
- This work is normally performed in locations on the Danforth, West Campus, North Campus, and Medical School.
- There will be frequent activities that require trips to other University offices and offsite locations.
- This position will require occasional lifting (25-50 lbs), and may require the ability to work in a multi-level office building, to use stairs with no elevator, and work alternate schedules. It will require being on call on evenings and weekends.
- It will occasionally require working weekends.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Desktop Engineer l (Time-Limited) - WashU IT Capital Projects - 37051
Job ID: 37051
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time