RELX Group Development Editor, Continuity in St Louis, Missouri
Development Editor, Continuity
🔍 at https://4re.referrals.selectminds.com/elsevier/jobs/6128/other-jobs-matching/location-only Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States at https://4re.referrals.selectminds.com/elsevier/jobs/6128/other-jobs-matching/location-only
▾ ▸ 3 additional locations
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States San Diego, California, United States St Louis, Missouri, United States
📁 at http://4re.referrals.selectminds.com/elsevier/landingpages/editorial-opportunities-at-elsevier-30
Editorial at http://4re.referrals.selectminds.com/elsevier/landingpages/editorial-opportunities-at-elsevier-30
Jun 15, 2017Post Date
Apply for Job
Refer a Friend
Sign Up for Job Alerts
With direction from Content Development Manager and in collaboration with Senior Developmental Editors and Acquisitions Editors, manage and develop assigned review journal issues from pre-production manuscript stage through final production stages, monitoring schedule and meeting publication deadlines. Ensure that manuscripts are submitted on time and are complete and to specifications; maintain permission logs; utilize electronic manuscript submission system; and correspond with authors. Serve as primary contact for authors throughout publication process.
Main Activities and Responsibilities
Transmittal and Publication
• Prepare manuscripts for timely release to production, meeting key deadlines.
• Collaborate with Clinics Acquisition Editor on content and format specifications and schedule.
• Send detailed instructions to authors and field queries throughout development process.
• Review manuscripts for clarity, completeness, and adherence to template; make adjustments as needed.
• Evaluate quality of illustrations; obtain redraws and/or high-res files when necessary; increase visual elements in articles.
• Maintain permissions log for each issue
• Work with authors and editors to obtain missing items (figures, tables, permissions, etc.) needed to comply with content and format requirements.
• Transmit articles to Production using a designated ftp site or other electronic system; field queries from Production.
• Compose front matter and review front matter proof
Budget, Process Improvement, and Reporting
• Manage production costs; ensure issues do not exceed budgeted size and reduce the number of articles/issues that are “fast-tracked” through Production.
• Review content for potential reprint opportunities.
• Improve speed to production/press by proposing enhancements of existing processes to better meet editorial/customer needs.
• Update departmental reports; speak to issue status in departmental meetings.
Functional and Technical Competencies
Strong organizational, interpersonal, and written communication skills; flexible and creative approach to problem solving; attentive to detail. Ability to foresee and avert problems. Excellent collaborative skills.
Proficiency in managing authors and interacting with them in a professional way; experience in managing multiple, high-priority projects simultaneously and meeting deadlines; familiarity with acceptable formats for digital text and art; facility with Microsoft Office suite and Adobe Photoshop. Familiarity with electronic manuscript submission systems a plus.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Experiences
1-2 years experience in publishing
Elsevier is the world's leading provider of scientific, technical and medical (STM) information, tools and resources. A global company based in Amsterdam, Elsevier partners with scientists, researchers, healthcare providers, educators and decision-makers in academic institutions, governments and corporations to help them find, evaluate and use information. Our breadth of content is unparalleled, spanning virtually every STM field in the world and includes such distinguished brands as Gray's Anatomy, The Lancet and Cell. Using innovative technology, we deliver our content through tools that help our customers be more productive and successful in their work. ScienceDirect delivers the worlds' leading journals electronically to over 11 million readers in 200 countries. And physicians in 95 percent of teaching hospitals rely on ClinicalKey to get critical information that can save lives. Elsevier employs over 7,000 people in more than 70 offices worldwide. We are an employer of choice, attracting and developing talented and creative people who thrive in a challenging and fast-paced environment. We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package as well as a real opportunity for career growth in a growing organization. Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact 1.877.734.1938 or email@example.com.