Washington University of St. Louis Business School in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 37.5 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Administration. This position is for the Danforth Campus in the School of Business.
- Oversee Financial Analysts’ preparation and distribution of financial reporting packages to Associate Deans and Department Directors for all Olin departments, reviewing reports before distribution for accuracy, analytical content and relevance to departments’ operations.
- Work with Financial Analysts and department stakeholders to evaluate departments’ reporting needs and identify opportunities to expand standard financial reporting on restricted and unrestricted funds. Remain educated in new applications to ensure effective and efficient delivery of information.
- Lead quarterly meetings with Associate Deans and Department Directors to discuss issues/initiatives with budgetary impacts and communicate department’s financial and budget status.
- Work with personnel to prioritize expenditures and identify opportunities for savings to meet unanticipated needs without exceeding their annual budget.
- Review current processes and make recommendations as needed for School-wide financial reporting including faculty and staff salaries, gift and endowments, scholarships and other areas as needed.
Budgeting and Forecasting
- Manage Annual Budget Submission. Advise and guide Financial Analysts, Associate Deans and Department Directors on University and School budget guidelines to ensure budgets are in compliance with policies and are in alignment with Olin’s strategic goals.
- Manage entry and balancing of the departments’ budgets in the Olin Business School’s budget workbook and balancing of the departments’ budgets into the University’s budget system. Work with CFU and central IT to resolve system issues and other discrepancies.
- Ensure the current budget in the Administrative Information System is updated once the departments’ budgets are approved by the Dean.
- Review and approve unrestricted and restricted non-payroll transactions at Olin for compliance with Olin and University policies and provide Vice Chancellor level approval on all Olin transactions when required.
- Review and approve payroll transactions and payroll cost transfers as needed.
- Provide guidance and training to Financial Analysts on University and Olin Business School systems, policies and procedures.
- Hold weekly one-on-one meetings with direct reports to discuss current work-related issues.
- Work with direct reports to create individual personal development plans and provide guidance to ensure successful performance.
- Provide learning opportunities for direct reports to expand their knowledge and skill set using both internal and external resources.
- Perform formal annual reviews and informal semi-annual reviews to give direct reports feedback on their performance, identifying strengths and opportunities for improvement.
- An undergraduate degree in accounting with 5-7 years of professional accounting experience.
- Three years supervisory experience.
- Experience in budgeting, reporting and analysis with the ability to draw conclusions and make recommendations based on developed information.
- Strong financial/transactional operations and workflow experience.
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Excellent spreadsheet, word processing and database management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience in an academic environment and knowledge of fund accounting and experience with Washington University Financial/Administrative Information System, CRM, BIDW.
The hiring range for this position is $50,895 - $66,144 annually.
This position is responsible for managing the budgeting, financial reporting and analysis for at least 30 operational and support departments at the Olin Business School which are funded by a variety of sources including tuition, gift, endowments, grants and outside sources.
Retirement Savings Plan
22 vacation days
8 Paid Holidays
Tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependent children
Free Metro Link/ Bus pass
Free Life Insurance
Health, Dental, Vision
Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
Long Term Disability Insurance
Flex Spending Plan
Human Resources website (hr.wustl.edu)
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Manager of Financial Reporting and Budgeting - Business School - Administration - 38252
Job ID: 38252
Location: School of Business
Full/Part Time: Full-Time